View Single Post
Old 10-30-2006, 12:44 PM   #7
whtmtn

Nice to see a few folks posting some information on the Castle Area.
My view is that having the primary trail (15) is great, though having some of the lookouts back in the mix would be wonderful. If you have been up there where the other trails intersect like Black Snout, Faraway, Roberts you'll see that it is a very long hike to get to those trailheads.
Two winters ago...No Riding up there last year, there were no tracks on those trails from hikers, snowshoes or X-Country. Believe me I understand! I'm a looooooonnnnnnggggg time hiker. That switchback trail to get to those trailheads is a real stinker. I wouldn't want to do it in winter. Even in summer I'd call it a moderate difficulty trail.
Just seems a shame that an area that was so popular a draw for the surrounding communities winter business and an awesome recreational outlet for snowmobiling families has been lost.
Again being an active snowmobile club member from the area I have to promote the idea that the trail building and maintenance during a 12 month stretch for MAYBE 8-10 weeks of snowmobiling is a really nice trade off.

Just want all of you to know why I care about this issue. It is beautiful up there. The views in the winter are something to really see.

The local Snowmobile Clubs and the State did such a great job up there over the years. I just wish that working relationship could be re-established.
whtmtn is offline   Reply With Quote