View Single Post
Old 04-09-2020, 09:32 AM   #57
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick35 View Post
Who needs six feet distancing when we have 150 feet on the water.
These are simply my thoughts, which we all know are not worth anything

It's not that being on your boat, nor being on the water is the problem.

The problem is the 'choke' or 'touch' points such as, docks, launch ramps, marinas, restrooms, fuel docks, pump outs, and other places where people can interact.

Think of every place you normally go, touch things, or interact with people or places between leaving your home and until you are on your boat driving away on the water, each of those is a potential issue.

For those that go to a dock, get on your boat and then head out to the open water, or to your island home, this is not a large issue, as you can minimize your own touch points and sanitize your hands as you get on your boat.

But for those that have the family use the restroom before you leave the dock/launch ramp to head out on your boat or before the ride to your island, or gather and chat with others at the dock/marina, or may overnight on their boat at their marina, you now have a place where people are interacting, touching things, potentially spreading the virus that can get on peoples hands, then touch their faces, etc.

This is why some places are simply closing their buildings, restrooms, restricting use to immediate family (no guests), etc.

When the non-essential stay at home order is released (currently May 4th), then I'm sure this can be revisited, and luckily the full boating season doesn't really start until the end of May, so the timing could help us.

But just because the 'stay at home' is released, it doesn't mean the COVID19 virus is gone. We really need a working vaccine for the threat to go away.

Each marina/dock/yacht club may want to consider safety procedures that go beyond a release of a 'stay at home' order perhaps until next year when hopefully we'll have a working vaccine and/or many will have recovered and (I hope) will have a natural immunity.

There are many different points of view on this issue that should be considered.

For now, be safe, wash your hands, stay home! I hope everyone is and remains healthy!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post: