View Single Post
Old 01-05-2023, 11:09 AM   #49
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Some of my thoughts after a few days:

I think the major failure here is that Mischa, who clearly had mental health issues, was not getting the treatment needed to avoid multiple police interventions.

Police officers have the responsibility to protect as many lives as possible, including their own.

Tragic events happen in life, and the headline "Officer/bystander killed by mentally ill man" is no less so. In fact, I would take it a step further and suggest the officer or bystanders losing their lives would be more tragic given their...innocence/neutrality (best word choice?).

There are multiple victims here. Obviously Mischa, but I see the officer as a victim as he now has to live with what transpired—whether or not it is ruled as justified—and the families of those involved.

In the end, better mental health supports to prevent Mischa getting to this point and stronger training for interactions between police and mentally ill people (if it turns out that the officer's actions could have been different) are sorely needed...but the nature of human behavior and society is that these situations will probably always exist.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post: