View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #17
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
You highlighted the word "safe". Most woodstove fires come from 2 main causes: Either an improper installation (too close to combustable surface, improper chimney installation including wall pass throughs and chimney linings; or chimney fires from improper maintenance and cleaning.
I'm still a little leery about leaving a lit fire in my house all day with no one home. We had a Vermont Castings Vigilant stove, which I would leave on low most of the day or night and it would soot up in two months. We always burned hardwood but I would see creosote peeling off the inside of the flue by the end of the season. I grew up cutting, splitting and burning wood and love the work of it but one night in November many years ago I had to scurry up the roof to put out a roaring chimney fire. I put in a cooler-burning, safer pellet stove shortly thereafter. It was the second time I experienced one; the first time was when I was a child and I'll never forget that either.

I was once told that VC made good stoves, but in both cases there was a VC stove burning. The Vigilant had a 8" pipe. I always thought that was strange.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote