View Single Post
Old 05-27-2021, 09:54 AM   #25
Cal-to-NH

Default Be in the same place in the end...

My two cents. After the study on the Taylor property, we will likely still be in the same place - do you want "The Community Center" in one place all consolidated on the Taylor property (2020 cost was $6.7 M) or do you want to renovate the Lions club (2020 cost was $1.5 M) and put the community center at the Taylor property (2020 cost was $3.5 M). Still waiting for someone to tell me why they need to be together....

And although this year's Moultonborough academy class was very small (20 or so), the average has been 35. Still a very low number without a doubt, but just to set the record straight.... Last year in fact was a greater than average sized class... Still don't know how they can handle those kind of swings ....

I think Huggins did not appreciate the polarization of the town over that Taylor property. The "put it to the wrecking ball" people and the "Save this building at all cost" people are definitely both very vocal....

But lets be honest, I think the Selectmen want the less expensive option and they keep getting out-voted on it when it goes to town meeting. Last year in fact there was money appropriated to sink into the Taylor property - voted by the people at town meeting. Like one of the Selectmen said - "the people have spoken". I wish that $100,000 PLUS from last year and that money appropriated this year (which will lead us to exactly the same place in the end) was placed elsewhere. There has to be Compromise in there somewhere. If the two groups got together and worked it out, I think we could get something done. Instead the Selectmen still want to go one way and the organizers of the more expensive option will still do a better job turning their people out to town meeting. In the meantime, construction costs still go up about 4% a year - so by the time this all gets settled, the $5 M option will be up to $5.4M and the $6.7M option will be up to $7.25. All because they can't seem to reach a compromise....
Cal-to-NH is offline   Reply With Quote