View Single Post
Old 04-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #19
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
I like the pepper spray idea, no chance of you accidentally injuring the attacker but gives you some protection.

I would be really careful about letting my dog go, I understand the logic of letting your dog submit might defuse the situation. But some aggressors are not looking for submission, they're looking for a kill.

I would consider two possible courses, make a friendly visit to the dog owner with your husband and not your dog. See if the situation just got away from him, most people are not lunatics. If that fails, call the cops
I agree with you completely!

Not all aggressors are looking to just assert their dominance. Unless you have a very small dog, which I have never owned, an attack is not going to kill your dog in seconds. I would rather be back from the fight to assess how to get involved (if at all), without being in the middle of it, feeding emotion into an animal encounter. I am under no circumstances going to put my health or my families health before my dogs and I love my dog, he sits with me on the couch, rides in the seat next to me in the truck, runs with my wife and sleeps with my children in their beds. He has the tools to handle himself and if he wants out, the other dog wouldn't stand a chance to catch him (unless it is a Greyhound or another Pointer).

Your idea of talking to the neighbor is also a great one. I often take for granted that I have grown up and currently live in rural America. I know my neighbors names and they know mine. I live next door to a family that did not grow up around here, they are really nice folks, but they call the cops on neighbors for things that I have always just known as a part of life or performed myself (dirtbikes and atv's down the road, fireworks on the weekends, etc.). They receive nothing but grief from those that they called the cops on, regularly. This results in a downward spiral.

The tread in general:

My personal last resort would be to call the cops on a neighbor (don't jump on me for that, I do not live in a neighborhood where I feel this would be needed), it would likely ruin any opportunity to right a wrong.

Is it really that big of deal to walk the dog a different route? The attitude of I am doing it my way and you can deal (or I will call the cops) will likely get you nowhere fast!

Calling the cops for everything that you feel wrongs you is a terrible way of thinking and is eating at a way of life that you would likely never understand. Talk to the neighbor when you see them outside, do not just walk up their driveway with the idea that you are going to give them a piece of your mind. It may have simply been a one time thing. If it seems as though that is not the case, then back away and file the information you gained or contact the police about the original incident if you feel so inclined.

The question was "What would you do?" I answered as such, your results may vary!
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote