View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 04:43 PM   #16
SOB

Default In a perfect world..

Yes in a perfect world you could ride the left lane until the very end and then everyone would merge in an beautiful display of 1 car being let in, an then one passing, and 1 car being let in, and so on...

However in reality vehicles are driving at different speeds, they are different sizes, and the distance between them is varied depending on the drivers. So it is no where close to a perfect world.

I deal with this exact scenario every night driving home on 495 in MA heading south. All summer long they are digging up one lane or the other, and at least 1 lane is constantly closed.

Every time I see some portion of drivers get over to the 2 right lanes anywhere between 1.5 and 1 miles before the lane closes. Unfortunately the folks who ride the left lane to the bitter end suddenly need to get into the lane in an erratic jerking motion. If you're lane is closing, then YOU need to take caution to get over in due time.

Occasionally I find an 18 wheeler that will play ball with me. He rides the left lane at a safe speed, slowing the traffic down. I stay by his side in the middle lane running a little slower. With a safe distance left i flash him or her the lights to get over and they ease into the middle lane.

One thing happens here, everyone gets angry at him for going the marked construction zone speed of 45 mph and ends up flying over to the far right lane... but there is magic at the end.. NO TRAFFIC JAM

Go ahead and quote some laws and rules myself and the truck driver are breaking.. but it proves the theory.. get over way ahead of time and there is no merge to take place.... creating the need for people to stop!!!

I am glad this was brought up, it has drove me crazy for years. I always thought the people who stayed in the left lane just didnt see the signs to merge. I am surprised to find out some people actually think it is the correct procedure.
SOB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SOB For This Useful Post: