Thread: chainsaw safety
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2022, 09:10 PM   #12
NH.Solar

In a previous career I ran a large L&G dealership in Concord and sold literally thousands of chainsaws.
First thought, I agree with the others that a top handle saw is not a good choice at all, there is far too little distance between your hands to safely control it. I have 5 saws right now and all serve a specific purpose but my top handle saw is the one I am most cautious with ...but still it does have a purpose. For around the house or for light firewood cutting puposes it would dfinitely be my last choice to use. It is meant primarily for one handed use by professional arborists or in a hoist lift.

Some general generic quick tips that might help;
1. Be sure that your thumb on the forward hand is opposed to your fingers and wrapped fully around the grip, not along it as you might on a steering wheel. This is rule #1 when it comes to preventing a potential kickback.
2. Kickback occurs mostly of the top front corner of the bar tip and seldom anywhere else. Know where that front quadrant is at all times!
3. Have multiple chains and as soon as one begins to feel dull either change it or sharpen it. A dull chain is far more prone to kickback. Plus if you keep the chain continuously sharp it will last far longer. The teeth are a hardened layer over a mild steel layer and once a loop begins to dull you will be wearing the softer under layer away rapidly. To get a rounded chain to hold an edge again you will need to file back all the way to the point the you are again working on the tempered outer material.
4. Safety equipment is paramount! At the very least have and use steel toe boots, safety chaps, and a good chainsaw helmet.
5. If you are felling a tree pay attention to the color and condition of the chips you are producing as you cut. If the chips begin to darken and look wet be very cautious because it means that the tree is internally rottedly and may not fall where you intend.
6. To repeat again, watch the tip, watch the tip, watch the tip!
As stated there are plenty of great (and not so great) videos online about chainsaws, but to find the better ones do a search for Humbolt notching. The Humbolt is basically an inverted notch notch and it does take a little more effort, but it also results in the tree falling both accurately, more gently, and with a tendancy to kick outward away from the stump and the faller. Also pay particular attention to the videos explaining :barber chairing" as that can be potentially very dangerous, but easily avoided.

There is little that makes me happier than being in my woods working with my saws and Kubota and harvesting timber for my sawmill, while at the same time improving the forest. The above tips hould give you a start towards the same reward, but the key tip is to do exactly what you are doing; learn all that you can before starting, respect the danger of the work, and think and focus on every move you make ahead of time.

Final thought and in agreement with some of the previous suggestions, some of the new electric chainsaws are truly wonderful for occasional home service! But be sure to go consider purchasing a quality line from a servicing dealer rather a piece of box store throwaway junk

Last edited by NH.Solar; 04-14-2022 at 11:03 AM.
NH.Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NH.Solar For This Useful Post: