View Single Post
Old 11-21-2021, 10:53 AM   #26
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
Getting rid of start up load is not how they are more efficient. The practical removal of start up loads is a side effect of using variable speed DC motors continuously. DC motors can run efficiently at slow speeds and have variable control based on demand. Where AC motors were efficient at one speed (or a couple speeds) and usually at the max work they do.

Twice the work requires the square in power. Like for a pool my pump would run like 6 hours a day. But if I ran it half speed for twice as long (12 hrs) it would take half the amount of total power even though it’s running twice as long. Now cut the speed in half again and double time again I’m at 24hrs and use 1/4 the total power for the same amount of water filtered.

Refrigerators, AC/Heat Pumps, Water Pumps all are moving in this direction. They run continuously at the speed needed based on the demand. Instead of a burst at high speed for short bursts of time.
I did not state that they got rid of the start-up load, I stated they changed how they were starting, and did not go into the details of the updated technology.

Same thing with the ''smart thermostat'' with the furnace in another discussion. Explaining the difference between the old/new doesn't really help the OP, as it isn't something they really control.

The only difference being that the newer is more susceptible to supply variation that can damage the unit.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post: