Thread: Lyons Den
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 12:01 PM   #19
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Question: do the high schools in the lakes region offer vocational prep courses which would prepare graduates to enter the hopitality industry, which is the life's blood of the lakes region?

I'm thinking of courses such as learning to be a chef / chef's helper or waiter, for example.

We have them out here and they are very popular and productive.
My early knowledge in this field is the result of such a program and I once thought it was a viable recruiting ground. Now I'm finding that many who come through that channel are racing away from the industry once they get on the job and become enlightened to some job associated realities. They have to work when their friends are playing and none of the fun things to do are scheduled on their day off. They are also finding it difficult to be resilient to the comments made by "that customer" on the internet. I recently had a young lady who was doing a great job, then "that customer" with out a reservation, trashed her on social median for not being able to seat them. She came to me crying and said this was the wrong business for her.

I'm fully staffed (knock on wood) but know many others who are considering modifying their schedules or closing portions of their dining room to deal with this problem.

This problem will have an bigger impact on new ventures as the experienced job seaker tends to feel more comfortable with an established restaurant.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote