View Single Post
Old 01-31-2017, 09:46 PM   #35
Riviera

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I however vehemently disagree with the idea that the city should impose a tax/fee penalty on those that own property and choose to keep it a gravel parking lot or vacant.
I'm not suggesting a fee for keeping the property vacant. I am suggesting that there should be a higher fee for vendor permits on otherwise undeveloped property, and maybe even all private property. Properties simply will not get developed if the highest and best use is a once per year weekly rental of vacant land.

Quote:
.... take this to the land owners and try to work a deal - in fact arguably could even broker a relationship with potential developers so all working together could execute a revitalization of the area. However no matter how good the intentions of the city, residents, or other interested parties everyone needs to be willing to make something happen. This cannot and should not be done by means of legislation with the intended purpose to hurt those that may own a piece of the pie that are not interested in playing along as it is their choice not to.
My business experience suggests that it would be nearly impossible to align the interests of multiple landowners, and/or multiple developers. The City is the only entity that can facilitate wide range change, as the City is the only entity with legislative powers. That being said, I don't think the City has the business and/or technical expertise to create effective legislation, nor the political fortitude to bear the pain of change. I'm suggesting change could happen, I'm not suggesting it will happen.

Quote:
However if the right steps are taken to get the ball rolling and there is a perception that the area is drawing a different demographic and reliably over the course of the year anyone who has a vested interest in the area, IE landowners, will be inclined to do something as well, as they always say it's all about the money, if it is there to be made everyone will want a piece of the action.
Agreed, but there is no catalyst to change the current perception of a declining business neighborhood/environment. There is no "piece of the action" until there is action. Absent legislative change, albeit painful in the short term, there will be no "action" to share.
Riviera is offline   Reply With Quote