Thread: Nolans
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2021, 08:40 AM   #24
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundary View Post
Call me crazy, but one of the biggest changes i think driving this whole labor shortage is the imbalance in time vs. money. How would you convince someone that it makes more sense to work a 50 hour a week job or a highly stressful job for 15-20k more over a 32 hour a week job?

I know the lakes region is still relatively affordable, so 15-20k may make the difference for some - but in more expensive markets like Boston an extra 20k a year buys you nothing if you are already making good money. The restaurants you go out to eat at are the same, the house you buy is the same, maybe paid off 1 or 2 years early. I think the disruption in the labor force will be shaking out for a few years to come.
It's not that either the 32 hour person or 50 hour person is crazy or irrational, it's that they have different goals. The 50 hour person is aiming for 2-3 or 10(!) times the reward in the future. I'm not saying one is better or worse, it depends on the person/circumstances. It could be that there are fewer people who believe the sacrifice is worth the potential reward
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote