View Single Post
Old 04-08-2022, 11:52 AM   #5
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Next thing I know, there's blue lights and a loud police siren coming up from behind, and this Holderness Cop is right there, stopping the tail-gating car probably for tail-gating.:
Funny story and I'm glad it worked out for you, but I usually pull over immediately to let tailgaiters go by me. It's the polite and safer thing to do.

A more sobering story: Once on 93 north around Waterville ValleyI was going 65 and I came upon a construction zone where the road narrowed to one lane with a concrete barrier on each side of the lane, with no shoulder. I slowed down and entered the "funnel." A car came up behind me doing something like 85. There was no escape for me. I was going to either hit the concrete barrier or be hit by the car behind me---likely both. At that point we were both in the funnel with no escape. The other car was no more than a foot from my bumper. To this day, I don't know why there wasn't a fatal accident. It defied the laws of physics. Maybe the only time in my life when I may have experienced a true miracle. The guy gave me a pissed-off look and blew his horn as he passed me on the other side of the barriers, as if he thought I had some choice in the matter. I pulled off the highway and called 911 to report the incident. The police caught the guy and I later passed them on the side of the highway.

Since that day my motto is, "Yield to whoever wants your space on the road." I don't engage in counter tactics against aggressive drivers, like deliberately going at exactly the speed limit to irritate them. I'm not in a hurry to get killed, whether by someone's reckless driving or road rage. Just give them the road and have a safe trip. And be hyper aware in construction zones because some people are not.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links