View Single Post
Old 04-08-2016, 01:25 PM   #28
Donzi Minx

Smile Boat Fail Confessions

Actually forgot about the first incidence. As the kids were all getting a little older I wanted them to enjoy water skiing on the lake, so I purchased a used 1985 Mastercraft Ski Boat. The original owner had cautioned me that the water pump leaked a little and that I should keep my eye on it. Obsessive compulsive that I am, that was not good enough so I replaced the whole pump. This is an externally driven bronze pump off the 351 Ford. Hooked my garden hose to one side of the pump and ran it in the driveway, all seemed tight and the engine ran cool. Before heading to the "cottage" in West Alton for a two week vacation I thought I would maiden voyage the ski boat in a small lake in Hamilton Mass, Chebacco Lake, just to be sure all was well. It all seemed OK until the engine temp pinned the gauge and smoke began to billow from the engine cover. Mobil 1 was the only thing that saved that 351 Windsor. The engine got so hot it melted the cam follower on the points. One of my first experiences with Dave Ewing, the seasoned professional reputation that he has well earned and deserves, glib, but helpful, he explained over the phone that I was trying to blow water through the hull, rather than appropriately sucking it in through the pump to cool the engine. One impeller later and a swap of the hoses made things right. Again total buffoonery thinking I knew anything about boats!
Donzi Minx is offline   Reply With Quote