View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
Shore Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Most high quality builders have tried but will not go back to trex or correctdeck type products. Less is right on this one, but my feeling is it has to do with maintenance. Other than not needing paint, composite decking still needs to be constantly washed if you want it to maintain any form of decent appearence, especially with the foot traffic that that decking will see.

Stick with wood, it holds its value better (not PT). If you are really looking for composite decking, look at something that does not contain wood fiber (Trex) and take a look at what Azek is putting out. Trex is a dinosaur in the industry and as typical with the first company to offer a cutting edge product, have done little to improve it since it came on the market.

And Trex is still the most expensive composite decking on the market, and don't tell me cause it is better than the rest, cause its not. It does have its applications that it works well and it is better than some of the other product lines, but zero inovation other that different color options, since it came out. They are still one of the only companies that still use wood fiber (even after the industry has rejected wood based composite due to the amounts of mildew that they collect and stains that they hold).
Perhaps you are a builder.

But what you are saying here is builders are NOT currently using Trex and have returned to using wood? Certainly not here in CT. I'm sure you could find a few VERY high end builders using some very high quality wood, but the guy paying $400K + wants, and will get, composite decking. The guy below that gets pressure treated wood and is sorry within 5 years (speaking from experience).
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote