Thread: Pit Bulls
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 02:05 AM   #51
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I was walking my dog on the cotton valley trail in Wolfeboro this afternoon when I passed a lady who was walking a Jack Russell. The dog went nuts when it saw my dog and the owner had a hard time calming it down.

I talked to the owner and she said that she just got the dog and was going to take it to dog obedience training because of the way it acts when it sees another dog. She said it barks constantly and gets very aggressive when it comes in contact with other dogs.

Is this common in the Jack Russell breed?

I searched for a video and found this one. The Jack Russell acted just like the one in the video:

Yes Jack Russell males are very alpha strong in many cases. I have known 2 people who had to put a male JR down because of this and the sad thing is that in both cases it was definitely lack of the owners to act on this.
In one case it was our elderly neighbors, we had offered to take the dog and work with it since we had 3 but in the end he felt bad letting us and eventually put him down.
Many dogs will display this kind of behavior towards other dogs but in most of those cases it is because the dog has not been allowed to interact with other dogs so in the end it doesn't know any other way. This type of behavior can in my opinion always be traced back to the owner.
We have never had one of our dogs act this way around other dogs. My Rascal who is a strong alpha and rules the house will turn and growl at another dog when the dog refuses to leave her alone, but only then.
I have a friend with a huge German Sheppard and it is comical to see her chasing him across his yard while snapping at his heals after she has sent him the message that she wants to be left alone and he persists.
80-90lb German Sheppard being run down by an 18lb JR, what a sight.