View Single Post
Old 09-05-2022, 08:53 PM   #6
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Deeply unpatriotic and disgusting. It amazes me that people pretend the South was not treasonous and fighting to continue slavery.
It amazes me that people pretend the stars and bars only represents the civil war and slavery.

To many from the south it represents so many other things, but mostly it represents their southern heritage, their food, their music, their clothing, and so much more.

And so if we follow your line of thinking, America is just a country stolen by treasonous traitors to the King, fighting to simply avoid paying taxes or avoid buying land and just stealing it from England instead???

History always looks different to those who were not there, and our perspectives are always bias depending on the current direction of the popular standard of the day.

Cant help but think what a polarized and grossly inconsistent country we are.

Clearly times change, but thinking back to a time not that log ago when one of THE most popular TV shows featured a car with a confederate flag and was named the General Lee! So popular it was that it ran for like 7 seasons and 150 episodes and was a huge success in reruns.

And if that want good enough, then some ten years after it ended they made a very popular big screen update with the very same car!

And we could ignore that example for the moment and move to another genre and talk about one of the most critically acclaimed and enduring westerns, The Outlaw Josey Wales, the story about a Confederate Soldier who refused to surrender.

And the list goes on, well until we become politically correct.

Now I know NOTHING about any confederate flag flying on the shore of Winnipesaukee, but at the very same time, I could care less if anyone identifies southern heritage.

Unfortunately we no longer tolerate anyone elses perspective that does not align with the latest politically correct position of the moment.

Whats next, burn Dukes of Hazzard DVDs and ban the song Dixie from the airwaves,,,

No real vested interest, just observations from a Massachusetts born Yankee.

ATB

Last edited by XCR-700; 09-05-2022 at 10:00 PM.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post: