View Single Post
Old 10-02-2022, 08:09 PM   #22
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
That's not at all what I was suggesting. However, here's another suggestion: Two new subforums. One called "Debates" and one called "Exchange." Calling a forum "Debates" would allow people who don't like hostile debates to avoid it entirely. It would isolate political discussions to one corner. By "Exchange" I mean exchanges of goods and services not involving money. There are subforums here that do involve exchanges of money, so how about one that does not involve money? There are some unused subforums that could be eliminated to make way for these new ones.
You could put the ''exchange'' in the ''marketplace'' forum. Just list what you would be looking for in exchange for what you are offering.

But it really isn't a debate on energy.
The facts remain that to move electricity around, we need transmission.
To move more electricity, or to move it to a new location, requires more transmission.

The large increases are partially wage inflation... we don't have enough workers, never mind actual qualified electricians... and all the new transmission and upgrades that need to be done. If we were just replacing what existed several years ago... we may feel some of those supply line and wage issues... but it would be muted as compared to the addition of the new/upgrade being piled on.

The dramatic increase in natural gas... Europe really put itself in a bind... isn't something we are likely to see subside quickly. Though there are only so many ships outfitted to bring LNG across the Atlantic; so it should reach a steady state sometime in the next few years.

We have coal that we used last year during the cold snap... and my guess is we will again this year; that will offset some LNG. (Hopefully I am right on as natural gas is heavily used in the winter).

And while there is some low hanging fruit for electricity usage... that gets taken up pretty quickly; as you can see from the discussion on the water heater.

We could place water in contains in the refrigerator, as that tends to temper losses when the door is opened. Maybe be more aware of how many times we open that door. But that is only going to be small savings.

We can run the clothes dryer through a sock, and some apparatus that they sell, to catch the lint but let the heat enter the house. It won't use less electricity, but the electricity turned to heat can be captured to offset whatever is being used to heat the space.

Obviously LED light bulbs. Power strips that can be shut off... etc.

But every home or building is going to be different.