View Single Post
Old 10-02-2022, 11:12 AM   #3
SailinAway

Default Need to redefine how much we need

Implied in "using less energy" is a major shift in attitude away from our consumer culture---the idea that more is better, bigger is better. You say you have "boats" in the plural. Is one boat not enough?

The ultimate consumer would be someone who, say, flies to Italy where he has a mega yacht on the Mediterranean. Wow, what an experience that would be! We need to redefine this idea of "experience." Real experiences should be a primary goal for everyone. After spending my whole life working to get more things and spending much of my time taking care of those things (buying, selling, repairing, storing), I concluded that I had missed out on too many experiences that are the essence of real living and I began to downsize and simplify my life.

Mega experiences require mega energy, especially gasoline. Smaller experiences can be just as satisfying, use less energy, and cost less. There are countless ways to have enjoyable, low-energy, low-cost experiences here in the Lakes Region. I've had plenty of cost-free, gasoline-free experiences in a kayak that can't be matched in a power boat.

Last edited by SailinAway; 10-02-2022 at 04:27 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post: