View Single Post
Old 12-05-2021, 12:39 PM   #99
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
...Ok, I get that. NH says get hte booster. But the entire process is left to a few sites with ZERO dates and times available....So now we are faced with a need to boost, but nothing being done to accelerate the process. Pharmacies are doing maybe 4 shots per hour....in 8 hours that is 32 +/-....
Last Thursday, my wife and I looked online and called around. While (then) Hannaford Meredith said the earliest appointment would be Dec 18, the Meredith Rite Aid said they were doing walk-ins for an hour that day and 9-5 Friday. We got to the Rite Aid just after 9 on Friday, and already there were quite a number of people ahead of us. But we filled out the forms, provided the prior vax cards, and waited. I had brought a foldup chair for my wife and a book for me, in anticipation. After a while I followed the example of others who had upended those low, wheeled shopping baskets to use as a seat. It took us about two and a half hours, mostly waiting and reading, but we got it done.

At first it did seem that they were progressing slowly through the collection of people we knew were ahead of us, but then things really picked up. Before the time they got to ours, it seemed that they were doing one every five minutes or even faster, and that's about as long as it took for mine - go in, sit down, answer a couple of verifying questions, jab, bandaid, out. Five minutes would be 12/hr, or nearly 100 in an 8-hour day. This had to be tiring for the lady doing the shots, moving people through so quickly and over a long day, and we appreciated her efforts.

Still, to cover 10,000 people getting first, second, or booster shots in a day would take on the order of 100 such sites at one person doing the shot per site (plus support people to collect sheets, organize things, etc.), or 10 large effort sites with 10 jabbers each. Larger efforts likely would take more support people to manage the logistics, plus extra jabbers to give them regular breaks.

So, if you do decide to do a walk-in, and can find a site doing it, go early, bring a chair, and a good book.