View Single Post
Old 01-05-2024, 09:56 AM   #56
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,162 Times in 905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
Judge Carroll is a very nice man. Unfortunately, I can see that he would be of little or no help in dealing with deadbeats. If you ever wanted a snapshot of today's society/culture, spend a morning in the Laconia District Court, and watch the parade of losers, one after another, who cannot live within societal norms. Almost no one works. No one has money for judgments or fines. And the judge, whether it was Judge Carroll or whoever replaced him, are excessively sympathetic to their plight, even the criminals. And that's the problem. Rather than hammering these folks with tough love, we coddle and sympathize. However, heaven forbid you are a productive member of society, there is no such mercy or grace. The full extent of the law will be employed.
You hit the nail on the head. I could not have said it better.

I have spent many mornings in that court and watched the lazy deadbeats get coddled. They get a kiss on the cheek and a pat on the bum and get told to try harder. The judges know most of the defendants by first name but it doesn't change things. There are many "frequent flyers" in Laconia District Court.

Maybe if they revoked driver's licenses for unpaid court judgments it would have some impact. Maybe if they told the defendants you have three months to start making payments on this judgment or you will spend some time in jail it would make a difference. Five days in jail and another 60 days to pay. No action? 30 days in jail and another 60 days to pay. At some point it would make a difference.

Laconia has a good police department but in my opinion, a lot of Laconia's problems stem from a weak court system.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post: