View Single Post
Old 03-08-2022, 07:16 PM   #157
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Can you elaborate? I'm not being snarky, I'm just interested in the changes you've seen.

I've only been boating Winni since '14, but it seems like these last few years have been the "worst," and every single issue is something other than speed: bad/incapable docking, boats too close at the wrong speed (swamping), people unaware of where they are, etc.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The biggest thing that has changed in the 50 plus years I have been on Winnipesaukee is the lake is busier now than it was many years ago. With that increase, I have noticed an increase of people who struggle docking, are unaware of how to properly trim a boat while underway, and are oblivious to the boats around them.

Nothing changed with the inception of the "feel good" speed limit. The speed limit had zero effect on safety on the lake. The only thing the speed limit fanatics couldn't point out is evidence that speed is, or was ever, a problem. That is why it makes no sense, it just makes them feel good. If there was evidence that speed was problem I would be glad to revisit the issue.

I am out on the lake a lot. Between 7 years operating tours 60 to 90 hours per year, and using my own boats in addition to that, I average over 300 hours per year on Winnipesaukee. I am fortunate to own a home that looks out at a wide area of the lake so I can see a lot and I am well aware of what is going on.

It is too bad there aren't better opportunities for people to learn about boat safety and handling but I am not sure the people who need the help would take advantage of it.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote