View Single Post
Old 03-08-2022, 08:24 AM   #150
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeLakes View Post
Sunset, I get what you are trying to say. I just don't see the equivalency. I'm guessing you mean you are on a side street, probably 25 or 30 mph limit? Let me know if I'm wrong. I agree, and I bet every person here would agree, that speed limit is appropriate and necessary for a neighborhood street.

I believe the 45 mph speed limit in large open water areas is neither needed nor effective. Just my opinion, of course. Would I consider an 80 mph limit appropriate? I don't know, but I'd have to think about it.

Now back to your street. If they implemented a 10 mph limit, would it be appropriate? Would you then perhaps advocate that yes there should be a limit, but 25 or 30 is the correct number?

Not really trying to argue with you, I really do respect the "limit is appropriate" side of the discussion. But I think part of the discord is how 45 mph is viewed by boaters like me, I'm an owner of a 60 plus mph boat and feel the limit is neither needed nor effective.
30 MPH is an appropriate speed limit for my street. And 45 MPH is what the public feels is an appropriate speed on the lake. How do I justify my argument? The public has weighed in:

As noted in my previous posts:

1) 80% of the house voted in 2011 that 45 MPH was appropriate with greater than 80% of reps from towns bordering the lake.

2) The Transportation Committee with a 15:3 vote last week concurs.

3) Business agree that 45 MPH is an appropriate speed. Over 300 businesses supported the implementation of our 45/30 law a decade ago. This included marinas and this time around 6 of them are opposing HB 1424. They know what is good for their bottom line. One marina owner testified as such at the recent hearing in Concord.
I walk to the town docks in Meredith during the summer and boats are lined up waiting for an open dock space.

4) Influential organizations/stewards of the lake feel 45 MPH is an appropriate speed.

Lakes Region Conservation Trust
Lake Winnipesaukee Association
NH Lakes Management Advisory Committee
NH Lakes Association
Loon Preservation Committee
Wolfeboro Waters
NH Camps Directors Association
Lake Winnipesaukee Sailing Association
Camps Brookwoods, Deer Run, Kabeyun, Belknap, and Sandy Island Camp

I get it. You have a boat that goes 60 MPH. Rep. Bordes has a boat that will go 58 MPH. Rep. Bordes stated in the LDS article last fall that NY, the state from which he hailed, has no speed limits on lakes...wrong, Lake George for example has a SL of 45 MPH. He states that owners of $250K-$350K boats are some of the safest/responsible boaters around. Many would take issue with that given the Littlefield accident, the fatal accident occurring off Diamond island, or online bragging by an anti speed limit advocate regarding alcohol consumption. These are not hallmarks of responsible behavior.

People do not want another open invitation to have ocean going speed boats return to the Broads racing back and forth. The whole tenor of the lake has changed with implementation of the common sense 45/30 MPH speed limit. People want to enjoy all parts of the lake. They do not wish to recreate on an aquatic racetrack anymore than you would want to have a picnic on the median strip of I-93. Again, points 1-4 above show that the public agrees.
sunset on the dock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sunset on the dock For This Useful Post: