View Single Post
Old 06-22-2020, 08:35 PM   #2
root1

Default Do we really own our land?

Hello All,
I’ve been ‘lurking’ on this website for over 17 years and feel that I know many of you very well; your political stance, your environmental concerns, your humor, problems with your boat, home, and even some family issues! I thank you all for the many, many hours of enlightenment, education, and welcome fascination. But now, I’m speaking up:

(I originally broached this subject in response to an inquiry in the “History” section ... probably not the correct forum. My apologies.)

I, like many of my Alton neighbors, received a very disconcerting registered letter last week from the NH DOT, seeking to repossess our waterfront property (of which I have a quit-claim deed issued by the town of Alton; and have been paying property taxes) across the street from my home. The state is obviously looking for new sources of revenue, and decided this was the easiest ‘low hanging fruit’. I’ve been paying taxes for 17 years on that parcel of land and am not happy about the situation. Imagine, taking back deeded property and then leasing it back to the owner!

This State action has severe implications for the waterfront owners, people who live across the street from the waterfront, and the town coffers.

I have tried twice to phone the DOT to get additional information on the subject, but they ‘preferred’ to not discuss the situation; and my email has gone unanswered. I have chatted with our town assessor, who was very helpful & informative. I urge others to make similar connections. Let’s be sure the town knows that the state is reducing a revenue stream, decimating the market value of our homes across the street, and questioning the town’s issue of deeded property.

Is this happening in other towns? Gilford, Meredith, perhaps?

Let’s get a group of residents/landowners together, and voice our viewpoint with our State Representative and our town fathers.

Anyone interested, please contact me here or via private message. There is ‘security in numbers’!

Thank you for letting me vent .....

Jim
root1 is offline   Reply With Quote