View Single Post
Old 07-09-2020, 06:56 PM   #1
CanisLupusArctos

Default ***Tropical Storm Fay***

This afternoon the National Hurricane Center upgraded the weather system off the U.S. east coast to tropical storm status, which gives it a name: Fay.

Fay is expected to hit near New Hampshire tomorrow night (Friday) into Saturday morning. The sun comes back out on Sunday.

The current forecast track makes Fay more of a wind event than a rain event for the lakes region, but the wind would be coming from the south (or southeast, due to the shape of the lake.) In October 2017 a tropical system produced wind from that direction here, and many waterfront properties sustained damage from the relentless large waves. My station's wind sensors came down in that storm (but are still intact, and if someone has a bucket truck to help me reach the top of the 30-foot mast I can probably get them back online in an hour). Flying brush from a tree took them out.

Also, this track has potential to wash out Vermont and neighboring towns in New Hampshire "Irene style." That is NOT a certainty, but should be considered for planning purposes and monitored as it develops.

Here, the shape of the land and lake often create local enhancement and local nullification of storm effects, so please keep that in mind.

Also keep in mind that NHC's "cone of uncertainty" is for the *eye* of a storm, not the entire width. Any given storm's width can extend well beyond the NHC's cone of uncertainty. The western side typically has the heaviest rain, while the eastern side has more wind.

Anyone with a boat on the open lake should consider plans for moving it to a protected cove (not exposed to the south) or to the north side of an island AND monitor the NHC's forecasts for changes as Fay approaches.
Attached Images

CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CanisLupusArctos For This Useful Post: