View Single Post
Old 08-02-2020, 07:14 PM   #11
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
It might be beyond your understanding, but the vast majority of freedom-loving Americans understand the concept of individual freedom. Your position is an arguable one just not the majority one by a long shot. By virtue of that alone, it’s disingenuous to describe a differing position as absurd or beyond absurd. A tiny percentage of infected people die from the virus. No one kills anyone by spreading the virus. People getting infected by others is a byproduct of living life, not a sinister goal of people who don’t want to wear masks. Finally, the vast majority of Americans don’t care what people from other countries think of them or of America. They have their cultures, we have ours, and there’s a reason people who immigrate to the U.S. choose to come here.
In response to your points,

(1) Happily, we're just 92 days from finding out whether my notion of freedom and patriotism is the majority view. It's been a painful four years, but I feel my spirits lifting a bit each day as the moment of truth approaches.

67% of Americans now always wear a mask outside their home: https://fortune.com/2020/07/26/the-s...sks-is-now-67/

And 79% support a national mask mandate. https://thehill.com/homenews/coronav...k-mandate-poll

That is a majority of people who care enough about their country and other people to wear a mask.

(2) The "sinister goal" of people who refuse to wear masks is to claim a trite freedom for the sake of argument while putting people around them at risk unnecessarily. On a scale of 1 to 10, how onerous is it really to wear a mask? I rate it a 1.

(3) Getting infected by others is a by-product of life? So is walking in front of a bullet your neighbor fires out his window. So is getting hit by a drunk driver. Hence we have laws to prevent careless behaviors that put others at risk.

(4) "No one kills anyone by spreading the virus." This is obviously false. 157,000 Americans have died. They all caught the virus from someone. If you're carrying a lethal weapon (a gun, a virus) and you don't take care to contain it, people die.

(5) "The vast majority of Americans don’t care what people from other countries think of them or of America." I care, because we have a lot to learn from how other countries manage their affairs successfully (as in providing healthcare for everyone) and how they view the US. Many Americans care about how other countries view us because they see themselves as part of a global community and know that we have to act in concert with all other countries to defeat the current major threats to our survival.

(6) Believe me, very few people are choosing to immigrate to the US right now, for a long list of reasons. The US has more or less no standing in the world today. We have entirely lost our moral, economic, and political might. We are no longer a beacon for immigrants, a model of democracy, a leader for social justice, or anything else.
The Following User Says Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post: