Thread: Stimulus Checks
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2020, 09:51 AM   #109
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
I honestly do not get this. Please educate me.

Everyone earning below 75K/yr received or will receive $1200 PLUS $500 per child.

SSI recipients that did not have to file in 2018/19 has or will received $1200.

Those unemployed are receiving an ADDITIONAL $600/wk. This is more money than they would be making if they stayed or went back to work.

Why are food banks so overrun?

I have passed by 3 different town food banks distributions over the last 3 weeks and the lines are longer than the food supply lasts! I honestly do not get it.
Food banks are overrun because their clientele lives paycheck to paycheck, with virtually nothing in the bank, if they even have a bank account. So when you say "will receive", that's a problem for those already on the edge. The Greater Boston Food Bank, just for example, has seen its daily demand double because of this.

Their donations are drying up because they get lots of free food from supermarkets and others that have excess. The empty shelves that we've seen are reflective of excess food in the food chain drying up. Also, shrinking incomes and stock portfolios leave many cash donors with less to give.

So they are squeezed at both ends. If you'd like to make a donation, here's a link: https://www.gbfb.org/