View Single Post
Old 11-20-2023, 06:44 PM   #143
NH.Solar

In response to my own earlier post I found out today that Wakondah Pond, which feeds directly into Lake Kanasaka is apparently not experiencing a bacteria bloom, so that narrows the culprit search down to Kanasaka.
A few years ago I I filled in some free time working briefly for Scotts while my new solar venture ramped up. One fact that both amazed and disturbed me was to find out the the Gilford Lowes is one of the highest volume fertilizer stores in New England, and therein I submit lies the main problem!
The solution in my mind is quite simple both to enact and enforce, No lawns or agricultural fields allowed within 150' of any shoreline, no exceptions and no grandfathering allowed. Some of existing homeowners with lawns may not initially like this but it is again a simple solution and for the public good. My waterfront was initially thinly leveled with sand and is heavily mulched over the undisturbed original forest duff and it is wonderful. Pleasantly soft underfoot, safe to trod upon even after a few toddie, the beneficial bacteria are in their original happy state, and any time I need to add fresh mulch over the decomposed former layers it smells great ...and the naturally occuring beneficial ground bacteria are happy

Last edited by NH.Solar; 11-21-2023 at 07:00 AM.
NH.Solar is offline   Reply With Quote