View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 10:24 PM   #28
kunamola

Default Camp Menotomy

For two wonderful summers I was a counselor and sailing instructor at Camp Menotomy on Meredith neck. The years were 1976 and 1977. I have fond memories of the camp and the staff. I even remember one session when a hurricane was coming through and we had to lash all the gear in the camp down to the platforms and go hole up in the old farmhouse. It was both scarey and exciting.
Even though my parents have a house on the lake in Melvin Village, it was a different experience to work at a camp on the lake. I felt blessed to have a spot to take my fellow staff members on our days off as we boated across the Broads and down through the Graveyard to our own dock and house.
Teaching young girl scouts to sail and going on our 3 and 5 day overnights each two week session was a real high point of Camp Menotomy. We sailed to numerous other camps throughout the lake and camped at their outpost locations. That is when I truly understood the lake, the experience of staying at different spots all along the shores is one I treasure. I remember waking up in the middle of the night to racoons on my feet on Bear Island, a gorgeous sunset from Sandy Island, and a heart stopping "turtling" episode off Store Island near Camp Winnaukee. Thank goodness their staff came and rescued the girls and towed the boat back to their dock. All the gear still sits on the bottom of the lake.
I have a friend here in Virginia that spent the two most miserable weeks of his life at camp on LW and I just can hardly imagine that. He claims it rained the entire time and he never was warm!
My godmother went to Camp Kehonka in the 1920's-early 30's. She remembered it fondly.
My older son attended Camp Belknap for 9 years; this summer was the first time he was too old and he spent several weeks grieving over missing the experience. My younger son got his 5 year award this past summer at Camp Belknap. I am so glad they had the opportunity to go to camp on the lake. Even though they spend the remaining weeks of summer only 3 miles from Belknap those Belknap weeks are special to them. I can't remember the number of times I have driven to Wolfeboro, past Belkanp, to mail them a package or a letter. Even when home is 3 miles away, a boy at camp needs mail!
I grieve that so many independent camps can no longer support themselves, pay taxes on waterfront and provide kids with such great experiences. My hat goes off to all those mom and pop establishments that put their hearts and souls in giving kids a camp experience; it was truly a calling.
kunamola is offline   Reply With Quote