View Single Post
Old 08-01-2021, 07:17 AM   #113
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
From the U.S. Coast Guard, the Coast Guard considers a stand up paddle board to be a vessel which I suppose means something like it is a boat somewhat similar to a sit-on-top kayak and not just a water toy or water float. So an 11'6" x 32" sup that weighs 35-lbs and is paddled can share the waters with motor boats ..... lots-o-luck ....

What is still not known is the capability of the boat driver. Was it a rental pontoon. Is she an experienced motor boater or just a first time driver?

The same questions apply to the paddle boarder as well?

Paddle boards and motor boats sharing the same waters is obviously somewhat of a crazy situation and most paddle boarders know to stay away from the motor boat traffic. Is like a no-brainer and very obvious as to where NOT to go on a paddle board. Paddle boards tend to stay close to the shore just like kayaks unless they have a death wish or don't know what's what with motor boats. You paddle in water spaces where the motor boats don't go due to shallow water, rocks, and lake geography.
Thats not helping in the least, I had hoped a reasonable person would at a minimum have advocated for the paddle boarders to wear a safety noodle belt, or possible for all boaters to keep a noodle belt onboard so that in the event of an accident the belt could be tossed to anyone in the water.

Given your years of experience and number of noodle posts, I had hoped to possibly see something creative, like paddle boarders should ways carry a noodle to help them measure out a safe distance from the docks. 3 - 4 noodle lengths seems like a good minimum buffer.

Maybe something else,,,

Well its no fun at all if I have to come up with all the noodle inserts AND have to generate all the standards of the duel.

I might just as well get a lawn chair and sit at the Meredith launch and just watch all the boaters practicing their backing into U-shaped docks and such. At least that would be entertaining,,, NOT.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote