View Single Post
Old 07-23-2021, 05:41 PM   #9
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skprbob View Post
In 1962, I started off as a "July Boy" camper at Camp Idlewild, eventually spending 14 summers there. Around now is when mid-season, July boys, would leave and August boys would arrive. In my case, my parents would combine picking me up, then going on a family vacation. They had a favorite place in Center Harbor called the White Diamond Inn which had very comfortable beds and excellent food. We would stay a couple of days there, then move on to a week in Fairlee, VT before heading home to Long Island (NY). Several summers later, now a counsellor at Idlewild, I went for dinner at the White Diamond, only to discover that the restaurant was closed and the motel was now condos. Oh well! At least there are still some good restaurants. Anyone else remember the White Diamond?
In the 1962 era, Camp Idlewild used to canoe into Lanes End and camp-out in the surrounding woods. They would let us (summer kids) camp with them, which was always so much fun!! Tie food up in the trees (bears), sing around the campfire and enjoy the rainy nights when they happened!
Two regular (for a few years) counselors were guys that were fun people- "Chief" and Ford Eastman.
Anyone remember them?
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JEEPONLY For This Useful Post: