View Single Post
Old 05-11-2016, 12:32 PM   #20
Rattletrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
A lot of these tips were covered in Rattletraps previous threads.
Wanna be a boater?
It's a chart, not a map.
It's a fender, not a bumper.
The list goes on.
Most accidents are caused by inattention, followed by "failure to keep proper lookout". See the USCG website.

All this stuff about how to dock, anchor, etc has been well covered elsewhere.

Capt. James Kirk didn't pilot (drive) he was the CAPTAIN. Sulu was the helmsman. You can be the captain or the helmsman, but not both when guests are on board. Train your crew and rotate the duties. Who will pilot the boat and call on the VHF when you have a heart attack or fall overboard? I don't care how old you are, these things happen. Maybe on the boat next to you. Does your lead crew member have the strength to retrieve your neighbor from the water while you drive? Or should you be retrieving while s/he drives?
I carry three charts. One for the helm, one for back-up and one that is old for guests to follow along. That's why you buy a new chart every year, even though the rocks don't (usually) move. And your crew explains the chart to guests, not the helmsman. S/he has a full time job. If you think one person can do it all with guests, boating is not for you or you for my lake.
Descant,
Maybe you've been boating your entire life I have not. I'm 46 now, and I've worked hard, done right by my family, and I've finally gotten myself into a position where owning a boat is now a reality. I can't begin to tell you how helpful this forum has been to me. Owning and navigating a boat on Winni or anywhere else for a "Newbie" is a daunting task, especially to us who haven't grown up around it and as I don't have anyone to ask boating questions too, this forum has been a Godsent to me. Yes I've been a habitual poster since I've found this sight but in my defense.......... I learn something new about boating and the Lakes Region every time I'm here. I honestly believe what I've learned here, and continue to learn here helps me and every other person on the lake. I apologize if you think I'm covering some of the same topics in my threads that was not my intent. I was just hoping to continue my boating education.