Thread: Lobster Pound
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #35
jetskier

Post Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
Lobsters are at a 20 year low and selling for $3.99 lb, steamed at your local super markets. With another season of exploding lobster population and warmer water the prices could drop to $2.99 soon!!!!!

Yesterday, 3 of us split 10 (steamed by Market Basket as we shopped) semi-hard shell lobsters, a dozen ears of corn, butter, and a 12 pack of Corona for about $60. TOTAL and NO mess. Tamale lobster rolls for me today after I clean the legs and bodies!!!
We picked up 6 lobsters at Market Basket last week (cooked) for a total of $32. The whole grocery bill was about $50 and that fed a group of 4. At the moment it just does not make financial sense to order lobster in a restaurant. The quoted cost for lobster meat (from suppliers) is in the $20 - $30 lb range (prior to the restaurant markup). Whole lobsters appear to be marked up disproportionate to the wholesale market.

I you really want a lobster night out, the Weathervane is the most reasonable that we have found as they have a special for about $17 for a lobster and two sides.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote