View Single Post
Old 06-11-2016, 05:49 PM   #11
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts
Default Don't call Marine Patrol

Although they are service oriented and will come when you call, docks are the purview of the Department of Environmental Services and they are the appropriate authority. MP will come, be polite, and probably suggest you call DES. This issue is currently being studied by the Resources, Recreation and Development Committee in the NH House.

Some of the questions:
Should Temporary Seasonal Docks (TSD) be controlled by MP not DES? MP seems to always get the first call, and they respond.

Many states do not regulate TSD. One midwest state's flyer suggested if you have a problem, call an attorney.

How to handle coves and small lots where the lot line extensions cross in short order? (The mooring regs are one plan)

Doesn't the guy with 25 feet of frontage have the same dock rights as somebody with 200 feet? Or does the guy with 200 feet have more rights because he has more money invested and pays more taxes?

So your neighbor has to sign off on where I put my dock? Why should my neighbor have control over how I use my property?

On those lakes where you get a permit to install a mooring, you pay an upfront fee for MP to come look at the proposed location before you get the permit. The "permit by notification" process for TSD involves no fee. Who wants new feeds?

Not to be aimed at the OP, but DES says a lot of the situations exist for years until there is a change in ownership. Is that because the dock drifts closer that year, or does the new owner have different expectations than the previous owner?

The list goes on...
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote