View Single Post
Old 03-06-2023, 12:22 PM   #25
Descant

Thanked 1,521 Times in 985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Well thank you for informing me that I don't own the roads, even though I have been told by the town, the neighbors and attorneys that I do. I'd just as soon not because we too were concerned about the liability. I was told that we would not be liable. I don't remember the details.
1. Reading the recent thread on trespassing, it would appear that you have no liability exposure.
2. Generally, personal liability insurance policies are not geographically restricted (e.g. homeowners, umbrella). A forgotten benefit of these policies is that if a claim is made against you, regardless of location, you insurance carrier will provide defense services.
3. When you bought your house, was there a survey? Title search? Open mechanics liens? Title insurance? Things used to be more casual.
4. If you or a neighbor wants to sell, will a new mortgagee want these issues resolved? It may be better to resolve such issues now, where there is no current neighborhood dispute or timeline/deadline for a mortgage or pending sale.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote