View Single Post
Old 03-08-2023, 06:26 PM   #18
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondguy View Post
Years ago I would drive to Saugus to the Hilltop to have dinner then go into the Butcher shop with a cooler and buy meats to bring back to Meredith. I was very sorry to see them close I had been going there since I was a child living in Medford. The place was so busy they had a Baybank in the parking lot.
In the 80's Frank Giuffrida, the owner of the Hilltop Steak House purchased the building next door to the restaurant that had been occupied by Pandy Pontiac. He made that into a grocery store that also sold meat. At that time the restaurant was grossing about $42 million per year and the grocery/meat store was grossing about $41 million per year. Many years after that he closed the separate store and incorporated it into the back of the restaurant building.

At that time Frank lived in a large house on Main street in Lynnfield and his wife occasionally had a little trouble backing the Mercedes out of the garage. So, Frank had a turntable installed in the garage. His wife could drive in and push the button and her car would turn 180 degrees and be headed out.

Who said money can't buy happiness?
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote