View Single Post
Old 09-19-2004, 09:39 PM   #35
madrasahs

Post Et Cetera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outland
swim-spaghetti-sized white foamy lumps (still wondering what is meant by these)
Well, they're foam (suds), white, yellow, or beige in color, and I think maybe the swim-thingys are called noodles, not spaghetti. I've got photos, but they're not digitized yet.

"Foam" can be pillow-sized -- even mattress-sized -- and appear in September (when the lake is drawn down and more sand is exposed) after a North wind against (mostly) north-facing shorelines. Although they can migrate anywhere. I've got a call into DES, and will advise -- if they know.

My working theory is that the north-facing shorelines, having taken Big Boat wake "hits" all summer, have exposed large new soil surfaces to bacteria in the "new" shallows. North-facing shorelines don't get the really bad north winter blasts because the lake is iced over then. Not many north-facing Winnipesaukee non-island shorelines have sufficient fetch, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip
your alleged conspiracies.
I used conspiracies?
Quote:
that legisltors are corrupt
I used corrupt?
Quote:
lobbying in New Hampshire was unfair...
I used unfair?
Quote:
Interestingly enough, one article is 3 years old...
2000 was the only national election we've had between 1999-2004.

BTW, there was an 18% turnout, which favored the state pro-income-tax Dems. http://www.fosters.com/September2004...nning_0919.asp
Quote:
Blah, blah, blah blah.
Blah blah blah blah blah.
Quote:
...from your anonimity...(edited out)
My anonimity?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROPELLER
Mad, You are correct about Florida. It is a mess.
As a Navy brat, my family has lived in many places -- all of them on the water, or very near the water.

All*** of those other places have had their waters ruined and their natural beauty stripped from them -- mostly by lousy planning, spot zoning, and rampant development. Real estate agents pressured multi-millionaire's plans against the farmer or corrupted local government. I wouldn't go back to any of them to live or retire.

***(Well, not all: Narragansett Bay was already ruined upon arrival).

We still managed most summers (and occasionally year-round) at Lake Winnipesaukee.

The life-lesson I hope to continue at the Forum is to convey my dismay at the RATE of change here at the lake.

The Lakes Region is like watching a slow-motion train wreck, with one car after another folding against another and careening off the tracks. It appears that I may actually see the day that the caboose finally launches off the railroad bed.

Last edited by madrasahs; 09-20-2004 at 04:49 AM. Reason: blahs
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote