View Single Post
Old 04-14-2022, 02:11 PM   #14
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
It was a 2009 Forester that the head gaskets went on in 2016. Also the drive shaft had to be replaced as the U joint failed. Overall very expensive on a Sub as the engine has to be pulled. That was no baloney unless $1,700 is pocket change to you. In 2016 a new design head gasket had been in place a few years but not many Subs had 100K miles on that design yet. So the fix was just a promise at that point. Time to move on. Alan
I agree with you. For me personally, Subaru permanently tarnished its reputation with its failure to correct the head gasket problem much earlier. I did the footwork for a head gasket replacement on a Subaru for a friend. It took a huge amount of research to understand the problem and figure out what needed to done. For one, thing, defective replacement parts were still being stocked in warehouses, and you could only avoid that by knowing the serial numbers of the defective ones. If they failed every 80,000 miles, as they did, you could be looking at replacing your head gaskets twice while you owned the car, rather than never, as with most cars.

It will be a long time before people forget this long saga. After that experience, I would never buy a Subaru product. They put their customers through hell for many years. Some years after they claimed that they had solved the problem, a former Subaru service manager told me they had not.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post: