View Single Post
Old 07-03-2020, 10:35 AM   #1
SailinAway

Default So many closed threads

Here are my thoughts about the closed threads.

(1) A COVID-19 category is critical at this time. Some posters have information that is needed by other posters, like conditions in stores and the availability of goods, links to scientific studies, statistics, and so on.

(2) One or more forum members are spreading incorrect information like "there is no pandemic," the rest of us are overreacting and there's no need for measures like masks and social distancing, and "only elderly and compromised people are dying." They are making these statements with impunity.

(3) Misinformation about the pandemic is a serious problem across the country that is fueling the intense increase in infections. The Winnipesaukee form should not be adding to this problem.

(4) While members who spread misinformation are not censored, closing down threads is de facto censorship of members who want to have an intelligent discussion based on real information---starting with the simple fact that yes, we are in a catastrophic pandemic.

(5) Everyone who is aware of dangerous misinformation has a duty to speak up and point that out. What is at stake? Our survival.

Therefore, the best course of action is not to shut down threads where people are trying to have a rational discussion, but to shut down posters who deliberately, over and over again, make incorrect, inflammatory statements that, if those statements are believed by other uninformed members, increase the danger to everyone.

I don't want to be ejected myself, but I believe that we have all have a duty to speak out against such dangerous, antisocial falsehoods. There is no gray area here between what is true and what is false regarding the existence of the pandemic. Freedom of speech does not mean that speech can be used to endanger the survival of others. Forum members should press for the ejection of pandemic deniers.