Thread: Car Inspection
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Rusty

Default Car Inspection

I had a problem with getting my car inspected in the Lakes Region. I do not want to reveal what garage it was but I thought it might help someone if they have the same problem.

Here is:

Yesterday I took my car to get it inspected and the mechanic said that it failed because there the valve and oil pan covers were leaking oil and was going onto the exhaust manifold. Also one front axle CV joint bearing was leaking.

I asked him what each one of these problems had to do with meeting the inspection criteria. He said that it was a fire hazard to have oil leaking on the exhaust manifold and that the front axle CV joint shouldn’t be leaking,
I then asked him where it said in the Safety inspection administrative rules that you couldn’t have an oil leak.
He said it’s a fire hazard and he wouldn’t put a sticker on it.
I said Ok give me an estimate as to how much this will cost me. He said he would work one up and let me know tomorrow (which is now today).
So I went on the internet and download the NH auto inspection procedure (saf-c 3200 OFFICIAL MOTOR VEHICLE INSPECTION REQUIREMENT) and read the thing from front to back. I could not find where checking for oil leaks was part of the inspection, so I called the NH safety division in Concord and asked them if an inspection station could reject my car for an oil leak. The guy said no they couldn’t because it’s not part of the inspection procedure. He said that the garage could tell you about it and recommend that I get it fixed but they couldn’t reject it for that. He said that there are a lot of things that need to be changed with the inspection procedure because some inspection stations use their own rules and don’t follow the procedure as it is written. He thanked me for that and said that he would bring the oil leak problem up at his next meeting.

I then went back to the station and told the owner what I had found out and he then told the mechanic to put a sticker on my car. No argument and explanation as to why they rejected it in the first place.

I got under my car and checked all three oil leaks and they were just minor wet areas around each one of them. The front axle CV joint bearing was more like water moisture than transmission fluid.

Also all of the fluid levels were OK so they couldn’t be leaking very much.

The manager didn't even know what saf-c 3200 OFFICIAL MOTOR VEHICLE INSPECTION REQUIREMENTS were.

http://des.nh.gov/organization/divis...appendix-v.pdf

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rule...saf-c3200.html