View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 01:26 PM   #6
Skip

Default Courtesy signals......

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
Everyone I know, self included, have Ridelites
Many years ago when a sled poked along at 15 or 20 Mph hand signals were a courtesy gesture. Unfortunately with the speeds now easily reached with a modern sled on a well groomed trail, taking your hand off the handlebars is not such a great idea.

That said I see no issue with the Ridelites, if you so choose to install one. Again, they are nothing but a courtesy signal, and should always be taken as such. All they do is indicate where the group you are riding with starts and finishes. Any competent sledder should realize that the end of line signal does not in any way imply that there is not another sled or group following closely behind.

If everyone stayed in control and on their side of the trail the point would be mute and viewed just as the courtesy that it is.

When I teach my safety classes and this subject comes up, I always add in that you should operate just as safely before you come upon a sled (or group) as you do after. The end of line signal does not mean that the opposing sled is now free to resume high speed riding and/or traveling down the middle of the trail!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote