View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 11:40 AM   #9
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
My issue with skimming is that it creates snowmobile tracks into open water. Snowmobilers often follow existing tracks, particularly at night. I have no issue with sanctioned water cross events, etc.

BTW, I clearly recall one of the posters on this thread skimming (when still legal), only to have his belt fail when he was approx. 200 yards from the open water
I couldn't agree more with your entire post. That said, the first part of your post is likely inapplicable to the issue of these guys skimming the channel. I think everyone is cognizant of the ice conditions out there currently and there's not even snow on the ice to follow tracks. People are barely even navigating the lakes anymore right now given recent weather.

The second part, I'd plead the fifth but it was legal at the time and fun. That said, It's been YEARS since I've skimmed and to this day, I still encourage people to do it in the appropriate conditions/environment to understand what it's like in case of emergency. Unfortunately, it's not legal anymore. And by the right environment, there was a perfect patch of open water between the islands in front of Melvin Village that wouldn't freeze. The depth level was maybe a foot, so if something went wrong you could (i) get out unharmed for the most part and (ii) not cause damage to sled, lake, etc. since the snowmobile wouldn't be submerged if it happened. But I digress since I don't do it anymore