View Single Post
Old 06-07-2020, 02:03 PM   #11
BrownstoneNorth

Default More on camps

Also In Wolfeboro, Camps Bernadette and Fatima in Wolfeboro will not be open, Birchmont plans to open but later than usual and the longest session will be 4 weeks instead of 7.

Despite how disappointing no camp this summer surely is to all who were looking forward to it, as well as the financial losses to the owners, I think that it was a mistake for Sununu to allow overnight camps to open and that the camps who decided not to open made the right decision. My son and I loved our combined 21 years as both campers and counselors, mostly in NH and Maine, but I can't imagine how a kid could have a rewarding camp experience under the current circumstances or how the camps can even function with the restrictions imposed. (There are additional restrictions on campers and counselors from out of state; air travel to camp is prohibited but campers and staff from abroad are not specifically prohibited?)*

Sununu has been fuzzy and inconsistent on many things since the beginning, including the 14-day self-quarantine “request” for out-of-staters which has appeared practically nowhere outside of NH news outlets — in other words, the intended targets wouldn't even know about it unless they're on a forum like this or in the habit of checking NH news outlets. States that were serious about restrictions on out-of-staters posted it prominently on their official websites; I scoured NH's — not on any Home Page or tab for Visitors or anywhere that a tourist would see it — and had to Google for Sununu + quarantine to find his March 28 “request.”

https://www.conwaydailysun.com/news/...52090b7a5.html

“He gave the green light to summer day camps to start June 22, with overnight children’s camps allowed to open June 28.”

This whole thing is mind-blowing:

https://www.covidguidance.nh.gov/sit...ht-camps_1.pdf

*For example:
“Camps are committed to transportation options that limit exposure of out-of-state campers and staff to their local NH communities including:
i. Direct-to-camp/direct-to-home parental/guardian transportation
ii. Only staff and campers that are able to drive to the camp and be
picked-up by car or other privately chartered ground transportation.”

“Camp administrators should be aware of the infection potential of campers and staff traveling from high infection transmission areas and are advised to consider limits to participants from these areas and/or in accord with the State and local agency requirements for regional, interstate, and international travel. If allowed, staff from these areas must quarantine in small groups (<10) for at least 14-days prior to arrival of campers or before introduction to camp and participate in pre-arrival screening.”