View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 07:17 PM   #60
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
While this may sound like a great idea for the business owners, tax law is set by RSA at the State level and there is absolutely no provision for local governments to give tax breaks to property owners.

Contrary to common beleief, New Hampshire is not a Home Rule State and all powers derived in the City of Laconia's City Charter are derived from the State. By statute a local government can offer a Veteran or Elderly tax credit and can abate property that has been shown to have been assessed improperly. They are granted this authority under the applicable NH RSAs. However a local Government cannot waive property tax payments under the description given.
I wasn't aware of that... I was giving a "what if" scenario just for the sake of discussion here. I wonder if NH would become a Home Rule State if they collected their revenue by means other than local property tax, vehicle registrations, etc. but with a state income tax or a sales tax, like Maine.
(I don't bring this up to debate the pros and cons of the taxation methods of ME vs. NH... ) Knowing that NH isn't a Home Rule State makes it seem a bit less "Live Free or Die" now...but as you point out, Skip, "imagine the shenanigans...."

Thanks for letting me know about that...