View Single Post
Old 09-28-2022, 03:06 PM   #86
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Why not use your breaker-controlled tank for other chores? (Watering, rinsing, cold water washing machine chores). Maintaining a regular (cold) flow through the water heater shouldn't be difficult.
I don't get this. Why would I draw cold water from the tank rather than directly from the town inlet? Just to make sure I understand: Cold water enters the tank from the town inlet, gets heated, and exits from the tank. Cold water to the house (e.g., sinks, washing machine) comes directly from the town inlet. Correct? That why I don't understand your reference to getting cold water from the tank for the washing machine.

Quote:
I do it, and turn the breaker back "on" 15 minutes before a shower. The freshly-heated water rises to the top of the heater, and is drawn-off first. You'll know when your shower is nearly over--automatically.
What I found online: “A 50-gallon hot water heater with 5,500-watt elements set to 120 degrees takes about 1 hour and 47 minutes to heat water coming in to the unit at 40 degrees.”

Quote:
Insurance-based water heater "take-outs" will help to economize. This being hurricane season, advertise "WTB" on Craigslist. I sold two to a desperate contractor who had a "tent city" of volunteer electricians with no hot water.
What's a water heater take-out? You mean you sold your water heater to a contractor and he did the removal? I need to save my 53-gallon tank for the next family that lives in my house, because it has been suggested here that I sell my house and move! (An idea that I've contemplated every day for the last 10 years.)
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote