View Single Post
Old 12-16-2021, 12:09 PM   #29
LakeTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebix View Post
Logitech Harmony discontinued

Unfortunatly, the Logitech Harmony remote line is discontinued.

Logitech has discontinued its Harmony universal TV remotes
By What Hi-Fi? published April 12, 2021

https://www.whathifi.com/news/logite...sal-tv-remotes

Logitech has discontinued its Harmony range of universal remotes. No new products will be produced, and once existing inventory is gone, it's gone. The brand says it will continue to support existing products as long as customers are using them, but to what degree will be interesting to see.

SO, not really a long term solution.

But, I agree that they work well, I have two model 700.
I am exploring the Sofabaton U1 as a replacement.
http://www.sofabaton.com/u1.html
The One for All Smart Remote
Doesn't surprise me at all. When I built and installed my theatre 6 years ago, I bought (at that time) a solid, feature-rich Logitech Harmony remote after doing a lot of research. The greatest part about it is how easy it is to use (literally anyone can use it) and if there is confusion, the remote would troubleshoot it with you on the LCD screen - HOWEVER it took a Licensed Home Theatre Professional to program and set up all the macros (Logitech License Required). Back then about half of their remotes required this while the 'more inexpensive and less feature rich' remotes did not. Needless to say, he spent a solid 2 hours setting it up with everything we had (projector, receiver, Comast box, DVD Player, Apple TV, etc. etc.). Challenge is if you want to swap out any device, it needs a professional to come out and reprogram it which means more $$$ spent. Dont' get me wrong - it works great - but with how technology has advanced with not needing a professional anymore to program it, no need to have to go this path again...

I'm guessing that one of the many reasons Logitech could care less about the "Home Theatre Remote Business" anymore. With how quickly technology has advanced, consumer's dependencies on phones & tablets, apps - innovation around wifi/ mesh networks and connectivity, rise of home automation platforms, increased use of the Alexa's/Siri's and Google Homes of the world - it's a race to the bottom in pricing while features, capabilities and overall connectivity continue to improve (One of the many benefits of Open Source Software). I'd be willing to bet, the high-end/luxury remote revenue stream was barely profitable (if at all) and at the end of the day, the $200 profit on a $800 remote was far from worth it... So many choices out there now for us to choose from
LakeTimes is offline   Reply With Quote