Thread: Pit Bulls
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #128
gillygirl

I'm trying to stay neutral on this one because someone lost their beloved pet to an unattended pitty, but I do want to give my personal experience with pit bull-type dogs.

I've had a Golden Retriever in the past. She was a very sweet, well-behaved dog, and she wanted to be near us, but didn't really want us to give her physical affection. She'd get up and walk away from it.

My current dog is a rescue, and her heritage is unknown. Ruby was described as a lab-mix, but by the shape of her head, I'd say she's got at least one of the bully-breed dogs in the mix. She is 180 out from the Golden with regards to training. The Goldie got it wrong once, and then she knew what was expected of her. Ruby seems to have no short-term memory. You say no, and then a minute later, she's doing the same wrong behavior. Therefore, she's always on leash, and even that can be hard because she's so strong. She's pulled me down a number of times when I was inattentive and didn't notice the neighbor's cat was out (my cat beats her up in the house, by the way). That being said, she is the most affectionate dog I've ever seen. It's nice snuggling with a dog and not having it get up and walk away. And she's goofy like the dog in the Pets for Vets video. So I hate to see all pit bulls lumped into one category. They are definitely not for first-time dog owners, or for people who let their dogs run loose.

My apologies for the long post.

GG
The Following User Says Thank You to gillygirl For This Useful Post: