View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 07:44 PM   #19
CanisLupusArctos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
Trick for all us boaters on the cusp of breaking: Have friends come up and let them pay for the gas
...Or as stated in another thread in General Discussion, pay $79 for a season's pass on all day cruises of the MOUNT, Mail Boat, and the Doris E. I'm getting my pass soon. Planning to leave the boating worries to the crew while my friends and I hang out at the railing and watch the lake go by!

According to this article from MSNBC this morning, the future of oil looks like it's not getting any cheaper or more plentiful because of a number of factors in the world.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...unningDry.aspx

I've also been hearing that we should all be mindful of where we park because less-honest people are stealing gas from parked cars. Anyone else been hearing anything on that, or reacting?

I just thought of a bright side to all this... ready? (*smiles like Ralphie from "A Christmas Story" *)

With more Americans carpooling and taking trains (the news this morning said ridership is rising dramatically everywhere) the morning commute has just become sociable. Kids in a few years will start hearing the words, "Your father and I met on the train/carpool..." Plus, no more driving & texting/dialing! This combined with fewer people on the roads and more people going slower to save fuel = safer roads = lower car insurance rates!

Expensive oil could be a solution to the obesity/diabetes/heart disease problem in America as people save money by killing the Gym membership and doing everything manually that gym machines only simulate. Who needs an exercise bike when a real 10-speed has just taken the place of local car trips? Or who needs a treadmill when we actually walk from point A to point B? And, once we all get in supreme physical shape from all the walking/biking/physical labor, I think the healthcare system's problem would solve itself at that point! BY law of supply and demand, less demand for healthcare = cheaper healthcare! We could re-train a lot of internal medicine doctors as orthopedic doctors for the injuries we'd occasionally get, and trade all our current prescriptions for a massive bottle of ibuprofin from the local Wal-Mart... for those times when we're feeling too macho to visit the ortho doc!

Just trying to look on the bright side. I'm not finding it easy to adjust to driving less. But I have to admit, when gas was cheap I found it hard to keep a healthy walking/biking regimen. I think I finally found the motivation.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote