View Single Post
Old 01-30-2023, 04:16 PM   #12
ApS

Cool STP and MMO...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Doesn't anybody use STP anymore? My college roommate had an old Oldsmobile with 500-600K (once the clock rolls over, it's hard to remember) and he'd ask for used oil. Free. And add a few quarts whenever he got gas. In those days the crankcase held 8 quarts or so, giving a little more slack if you were down a quart or two. For those who don't remember, oil was $0.35/qt at the gas station and less at a discount store (Bradlee's). Walmart had not been invented yet on a national basis.
Back in the 1980s, STP was riding the oil-benefits wave. Casite "Motor Honey" which, except for its color, resembled STP, and was a minor competitor. (Maybe it wasn't purple)?

I used STP for rebuilding engines against "the latest advice" not to.

In the 1960s Valvoline was reducing oil viscosity recommendations, against the intuitive feeling that was bad advice!

Check out the parking spaces at Black's Gift Shop in Wolfeboro from the 1950s and 1960s post cards. Accumulated oil drips in those days made the spaces the equivalent of California's La Brea tar pits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Nothing to do with Scions' but oil being used.

Back in the days I was in the military, we use to add 'Marvel Mystery Oil' to all gasoline engine vehicles at oil changes. The Govt use to buy MMO in 55 gal drums. Totally not sure what's in this stuff, but been adding to oil and gas for years.
Engines seem to run smoother and quiet, and so far no problems.
I also add a little to my 5 gal gas container I use, for filling up snow-blower, lawnmower, chain saws, etc. People seem to swear by this product.
MMO is ATF (automatic transmission fluid), with a nice minty odor added. I use it a lot.
MMO, with its relatively thin viscosity, can be sprayed from a hand sprayer.

Its primary benefit is to act as a detergent, so as to hold contaminants in suspension until the engine oil is changed (out).
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote