View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #36
jeffk

Default "Free" online registration

I have no problem with providing online registration but I always think it is funny to believe this will save a lot of money. Computer resources need to be allocated (CPU, storage space, power, internet access) and someone needs to buy or write a program and it will need to be maintained by technicians. The information will need to be backed up and protected. People will want information reports generated and that will take additional programming and resources. Further there are aspects of the process that require document exchange; new boat proof of purchase, the approved registration form and stickers, etc. That would need to be handled by people and the postal service. All this costs money. Overall, maybe you save a little, maybe not.

Further, online registration doesn't work for everyone. There are plenty of people who still prefer to do things via mail or face to face.

The reason I register at the marina is that part of the money, I think it was the boat fee, stayed in the town. If you mailed it to the state the money went to the general fund, I believe. I don't know if that is still true. I preferred the money stay near the boating area. When I pick up my boat from storage I pay and go all at one place.

I would also like a good public explanation by the Marine Patrol for the use of the additional funds. I lean toward supporting the increase but more information is always good.

However, I find it hard to believe that raising the fees $25 bucks on a typical boat is going create a serious problem for anyone. People are spending well over $150 a MONTH on TV, internet, and phone services and they can't manage a $25 a year boat fee increase for the first time in 30 years. Come on.

As to non powerboat stickers, I believe that every form of lake use benefits from better enforcement and lake maintenance programs. If you use the lake, why shouldn't you chip in to keep things in good shape? Again, a $5 or $10 sticker is not going to break anyone. Simple distribution, buy sticker, slap it on canoe. Enforcement, no sticker, $20 fine.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote